A popular way to provide supplemental heat to your home, gas logs are a clean and convenient alternative to a wood-burning fireplace. If you are shopping for gas logs, you probably know there are two different kinds of this heating appliance: vented and vent-free. The main difference between these two types of gas logs is vented logs require a working chimney with the approval to use gas to fuel its fireplace and vent-free gas logs can be installed just about anywhere in your home as they need no ventilation. However, according to the Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA), concerns have been raised about vent-free gas logs and their effect on indoor air quality. In fact, in some parts of the country, it is illegal to install vent-free gas logs in your home. Vented gas logs are perfectly safe and provide a beautiful, natural-looking fire, but they do not give out as much heat as vent-free gas logs. Fortunately, there is a type of vented gas log that is made to provide more heat: the vented-heater gas logs. Bart Fireside sells and installs both this type and the vented-decorative gas logs sets, and we would like to tell you about the characteristics of both kinds of the vented gas logs available.
VENTED-HEATER GAS LOGS
- Vented-heater gas logs give you both a realistic-looking flame, but they can also provide 8,000 to 14,000 BTUs of radiant heat to your home.
- This type of gas log set can be an excellent supplemental source of additional heat to your house, and if your power goes out during a winter storm, you can be assured you will still have heat with vented-heater gas logs.
- Available to be fueled by natural or propane gas, Bart Fireside has models of vented-heater gas logs that can use a remote, a wall switch, a thermostat, and a remote thermostat.
- The flame from vented-heater gas logs is odor-free.
- Vented-heater gas logs have to be installed in a functioning and operational wood-burning fireplace.
- Every model of this type of gas log Bart Fireside carries features a safety pilot, ember material, and lava granules.
- Providing a beautiful and realistic fire, vented-heater gas logs are made from ceramic fiber that glow and radiate heat.
DECORATIVE-VENTED GAS LOGS
- The most realistic looking gas hearth appliance, this type of gas logs is not sold as a heat source, but strictly as a decorative fire.
- Also available in natural or propane gas, vented-decorative gas logs can be operated by a remote control and can include a wall switch and a thermostat.
- Odor-free, this type of gas logs must also be installed in an operational wood-burning fireplace.
- Vented-decorative gas logs are movable and allow more flexibility to arrange your fire exactly as you want it to look.
Have more questions about the different types of vented gas logs? Contact Bart Fireside to ask our expert staff about your options.